Skip to main content

Biafra: Nnamdi Kanu Is Talking Nonsense - Edwin Clark


Elder statesman, Edwin Clark, on Tuesday condemned the Biafra agitation led by Nnamdi Kanu.

Mr. Clark made this known when the Chairman, Senate Committee on Local and Foreign Debt, Shehu Sani, visited him in his Abuja residence.

He further condemned the quit notice by the Arewa Group to Igbos in the North, saying it was worrisome.

He warned that secession or agitation were not the way to go on restructuring the country.

He said “when Kanu talks about Biafra, he is talking nonsense. We do not want a second war.

“America fought their civil war for a long time and they are not thinking of a second one. Kanu should drop the agitation.

“At the same time, it is arrogant and foolish on the part of some Northern youths to issue quit notice. You do not own the North. It is part of Nigeria and anybody can live there.

“The Igbos have been living in the North for over 100 years. I condemn all of them.”

The elder statesman, however, emphasised the need for restructuring for equity and balance in the country.

He explained that although the call for restructuring had been loud in recent times, the country had been undergoing restructuring.

“We have been living together since 1914 and from time to time, we have been changing the way of our lives.

“In 1947, Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe said the Richard Constitution was obnoxious; that it was anti-people. In 1950, we had the Macpherson Constitution which created the three regions and in 1963, we had another constitution.

“During all these constitutions, the issue of fiscal federation was very prominent. So, we have been restructuring this country and nobody talked about breaking up the country.

“The war between 1967 and 1970 was an unfortunate one.”

Mr. Clark said making necessary changes to allow for social justice was the way to go and urged the National Assembly (NASS) to re-visit the issue of devolution of power upon resumption from recess, saying it was one of the ways to properly restructure the country.

According to him, the vote against devolution of power by NASS is borne out of the fear that it would whittle down the powers of legislators.

“We have reached a stage where states are not paying salaries and something has to be done to gear their minds to see what they can do in their own area to generate money.

“I am happy you believe in restructuring, which can be achieved within a short time but it may take up to 20 years if we do not agree among ourselves.

“So, once more I want to say that when you resume, the issue of devolution of power should be re-visited so that Federal Government will deal with foreign affairs, prisons, customs and a few other things.

On call to return to regionalism, Mr. Clark said “you cannot abolish the states now and say you want six regions. It is not going to be easy or possible now.

“I feel we should use the same states as federating units and the local governments should remain with the states.”

He called for the establishment of Revenue Mobilisation Commission to deal with funds that move between states and local governments to sustain them.

Mr. Clark, a former federal commissioner of information, promised to convene a meeting of elder statesmen across the country to find lasting solution to the problem of restructuring.

In his remarks, Mr.A Sani, who is also the Vice Chairman Committee on Foreign Affairs, said one of the reasons the devolution of power did not scale through in NASS was the fear that state governments might abuse their powers.

He said “the problem we have with devolution of power is how to tackle some of the problems that come with it.

“For example, the present crop of governors might not be able to handle state police in a manner that people who disagree with them can be safe.

“Secondly, the manner in which elections are conducted by state independent electoral commissions where the ruling party in state wins all positions is worrisome.

“So, if we devolve the police, we have to allay the fears of people on the implications. Those who are championing some of these issues need to make clarifications.”

On derivation and resource control, the lawmaker said it was in the best interest of the country to stop thinking about oil because it was becoming non-attractive globally.

On the quit notice, Mr. Sani said “it is embarrassing”.

(NAN)

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/242498-biafra-nnamdi-kanu-talking-nonsense-edwin-clark.html/amp
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

U.S. Military Helicopter Crashes In Iraq On Thursday, Killing 7 People On Board

One of the U.S. military helicopter in Iraq has crashed after hitting a power line in Iraq's western Anbar province, killing all seven personnel aboard.

According to a statement from Pentagon this morning, the officials said the crash of the HH-60 Pave Hawk helicopter occurred Thursday afternoon near the town of Qaim.

"All personnel aboard were killed in the crash," Brig. Gen. Jonathan P. Braga, director of operations, Combined Joint Task Force - Operation Inherent Resolve, said in a statement.

"This tragedy reminds us of the risks our men and women face every day in service of our nations," he said. "We are thinking of the loved ones of these service members today."

The statement further said;

Wife Of Donald Trump Junior Files For Divorce

(Reuters) - The wife of Donald Trump Jr., the eldest son of U.S. President Donald Trump, has filed for divorce in New York, according to court records.

Vanessa Trump, a former model and actress, and Trump Jr. said in a joint statement on Thursday: "After 12 years of marriage, we have decided to go our separate ways."

The statement was provided by the Trump Organization, the president's business empire, which his son helps manage.


Further details were not immediately available on the uncontested divorce filing by Vanessa Trump in a New York state court. She and Trump Jr. have "enormous respect" for each other, according to the joint statement, which also asked for privacy.

Prison Officers Secretly Move Charles Okah To Borno Prisons After Life Sentence

Charles Okah, the brother of the leader of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND), who was given a life sentence for terrorism, has been secretly moved from Kuje Prisons, Abuja, to one of the prison facilities in Borno State, THISDAY has learnt.

Worried about his seeming familiarity with the prison environment and the officers at the Kuje Prisons, the authorities of the Nigerian Prison Service (NPS) last Tuesday transferred him quietly.