Skip to main content

North Korea crisis: War would be horrific, US general says

A military response to North Korea would be "horrific" but remains an option, the top military adviser to US President Donald Trump says.
Gen Joseph Dunford, chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, made the comments while visiting China.

He was responding to remarks by a top Trump aide ruling out military action over North Korea's nuclear programme.

Tensions have flared between the US and North Korea after Pyongyang made advances in its missile testing.

Mr Trump has warned the North that it faces "fire and fury", while Pyongyang has threatened to strike the American territory of Guam.

But the sharp rhetoric of last week has since softened, with North Korea leader Kim Jong-un putting the Guam plans on hold - a move praised by President Trump.



Chief White House strategist Steve Bannon said on Wednesday there could be no military solution to the stand-off.

"Until somebody solves the part of the equation that shows me that 10 million people in Seoul don't die in the first 30 minutes from conventional weapons, I don't know what you're talking about, there's no military solution here, they got us," he told The American Prospect.

Gen Dunford agreed a military solution would be "horrific" but went on to say "what's unimaginable to me is not a military option".

"What is unimaginable is allowing [North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un] to develop ballistic missiles with a nuclear warhead that can threaten the United States and continue to threaten the region."

He said President Trump "has told us to develop credible, viable military options, and that's exactly what we're doing".


A senior Chinese military official who met Gen Dunford told him that military action should be ruled out and that "dialogue" was the only option, the Chinese defence ministry said.

China is the North's only major ally. The US has criticised China for not doing enough to rein it in, but Beijing says it has begun halting iron, iron ore and seafood imports from North Korea, in line with new UN sanctions.
https://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/worldNews/North-Korea-crisis-War-would-be-horrific-US-general-says-570623
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FG and labor leaders to meet today over planned strike action against increased pump price

The Federal government, leaders of the Nigeria Labor Congress NLC ‎and Trade Union allies will be meeting today May 16th to discuss on the planned strike action by the Labor congress. The labor leaders on Saturday May 14th gave FG till midnight of Tuesday May 17th to revert to the old pup price of petrol of N86.50 or face a total strike that may begin on Wednesday May 18th.

The Federal government and Labor leaders' meeting will hold at the office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation in Abuja by 10am..

Those expected at the meeting include Minister of Labor Chris Ngige, leaders of NLC, TUC, Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers, NUPENG, and their Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria, PENGASSAN counterpart.

TRAGEDY IN GHANA-Police officer, pregnant wife, daughter perish in gory accident,new born baby survives

A Police officer, his pregnant wife, their 3-year-old daughter and their nephew died in a horrible accident on the Adabraka road Sunday dawn.

The Police officer identified as Sergeant Francis Essuman 42, with his nephew Kobby 21, and their daughter Wilhelmina 3, were accompanying his pregnant wife, Elizabeth Essuman, 36, to the hospital to deliver when the accident occurred.

According to Chief Inspector Lilly Rockson in an interview with Adom News said, the pregnant woman delivered a bouncing baby boy in the taxi half way to the hospital prompting them to panic.

In a bid to quickly get her to the hospital to avert any complications, the taxi driver was compelled to speed but ended up crushing into a Sprinter bus which was on top speed from Tudu in Accra.

Title-crazy civil servants to go

Title-crazy civil servants are scared of being sacked, The Nation learnt at the weekend. Officials, who violated the Public Service Rule banning titles until after retirement, may be retired in the coming civil service reforms.
Only those whose titles were traditionally inherited may be spared but their postings and conduct will be put under watch.
According to sources, the government is disturbed that most of the top civil servants with honorary awards actually bought them at high fees.
The affected civil servants violated the rules which grants them the right to such honors only after retirement.
Besides committing the resources of Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAS) to such awards, most of the civil servants used the window to “grant favour to groups, persons, and communities in violation of their oath of office.”