Skip to main content

FG Lifts Ban On Post-utme Screening By Varsities

The Federal Government has lifted the ban on the controversial examinations usually organised by universities in Nigeria for admission seekers after the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examinations (UTME).

The Federal Government had last year ordered the scrapping of post-UTME for candidates.Speaking in an exclusive interview with The Guardian in Abuja yesterday, the Minister of Education, Malam Adamu Adamu, said universities could now organise post-UTME as a pre-condition to gaining admission into universities in the country.

The minister, who however urged university authorities to make the fees for the screening affordable and not to impose huge financial burden on the parents, said: “We are going to allow universities to organise post-UTME if they want.

“We have asked them not to impose huge financial burden on the parents. The burden should not be more than what they can bear.”Adamu said that the Federal Government had stopped the scrapping of the examination to fully understand what was going on in universities, adding: “We are now wiser.”

The minister, who expressed confidence in the examination conducted by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), said the management of JAMB had remitted N5 billion to the Federal Government coffers, which happens to be the highest so far in the last 40 years of the board’s existence.

He said: “Since JAMB was established more than 40 years ago, the total amount it has given government was N200 million, but in one year, Prof. Ishaq Oloyede has remitted N5 billion to government.

“The new JAMB registrar has been correcting many anomalies in the board. Within a year, he has been able to stop all the untold things that were happening there.

Source: http://www.fullgist.com.ng/2017/08/fg-lifts-ban-on-post-utme-screening-by.html
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

U.S. Military Helicopter Crashes In Iraq On Thursday, Killing 7 People On Board

One of the U.S. military helicopter in Iraq has crashed after hitting a power line in Iraq's western Anbar province, killing all seven personnel aboard.

According to a statement from Pentagon this morning, the officials said the crash of the HH-60 Pave Hawk helicopter occurred Thursday afternoon near the town of Qaim.

"All personnel aboard were killed in the crash," Brig. Gen. Jonathan P. Braga, director of operations, Combined Joint Task Force - Operation Inherent Resolve, said in a statement.

"This tragedy reminds us of the risks our men and women face every day in service of our nations," he said. "We are thinking of the loved ones of these service members today."

The statement further said;

Wife Of Donald Trump Junior Files For Divorce

(Reuters) - The wife of Donald Trump Jr., the eldest son of U.S. President Donald Trump, has filed for divorce in New York, according to court records.

Vanessa Trump, a former model and actress, and Trump Jr. said in a joint statement on Thursday: "After 12 years of marriage, we have decided to go our separate ways."

The statement was provided by the Trump Organization, the president's business empire, which his son helps manage.


Further details were not immediately available on the uncontested divorce filing by Vanessa Trump in a New York state court. She and Trump Jr. have "enormous respect" for each other, according to the joint statement, which also asked for privacy.

Prison Officers Secretly Move Charles Okah To Borno Prisons After Life Sentence

Charles Okah, the brother of the leader of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND), who was given a life sentence for terrorism, has been secretly moved from Kuje Prisons, Abuja, to one of the prison facilities in Borno State, THISDAY has learnt.

Worried about his seeming familiarity with the prison environment and the officers at the Kuje Prisons, the authorities of the Nigerian Prison Service (NPS) last Tuesday transferred him quietly.