Skip to main content

Boko Haram robbery accidentally led to Chibok abduction – released girls

Nigeria Chibokk

The Nigerian government continues efforts to secure release of about 113 remaining girls
Boko Haram insurgents did not set out to abduct school girls from the Chibok school in April 2014, their robbery mission accidentally became an abduction operation, this is an account by some recently released girls.

The revelation was contained in secret diaries five of the girls kept over their years in captivity. Naomi Adamu – one of the authors recalled how the group arrived at their school to steal machinery for house building but not finding what they came for, they picked up the over 220 girls.

“One boy said they should burn us all, and they (some of the other fighters) said: ‘No, let us take them with us to Sambisa (Boko Haram’s remote forest base) … if we take them to Shekau (the group’s leader), he will know what to do’”, Adamu wrote.

One of her friends who contributed to the diary, however, remains with the group after she agreed to marry a Boko Haram fighter in order to get food and water.


Naomi confirmed that they began writing about their experiences few months after their abduction. They wrote in turns in books given to them for Quranic lessons. They either buried the books or kept it in their underwear to conceal it.

Naomi was part of a recently released batch of 82 girls in May this year. Preceding their release, 21 others had been freed in October 2016 in an agreement between the group and the government. The deal was brokered by the Swiss government and facilitated by the International Committee of the Red Cross.

The girls are currently being held in government custody for rehabilitation and restoration ahead of their return to school. The government has also said it continues efforts to secure release of about 113 remaining and all other persons held by the group.

Amid the release negotiations, there is an armed combat against the group usually concentrated in the northeastern Borno State – home to the insurgent group. They, however, continue to launch deadly attacks. The most recent claimed over 20 lives with over 80 others injured.

The April 2014 abduction sparked an international outcry and a viral campaign on social media with the hashtag #bringbackourgirls. An activist group Bring Back Our Girls (BBOG) continues to pile pressure for the release of the remaining girls.

In the outset of the campaign, former U.S. First Lady Michelle Obama – along with a diverse cast of media celebrities – jumped on the release wagon. The former government has been accused of turning down military assistance to rescue the girls in the early days of the abduction.

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FG and labor leaders to meet today over planned strike action against increased pump price

The Federal government, leaders of the Nigeria Labor Congress NLC ‎and Trade Union allies will be meeting today May 16th to discuss on the planned strike action by the Labor congress. The labor leaders on Saturday May 14th gave FG till midnight of Tuesday May 17th to revert to the old pup price of petrol of N86.50 or face a total strike that may begin on Wednesday May 18th.

The Federal government and Labor leaders' meeting will hold at the office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation in Abuja by 10am..

Those expected at the meeting include Minister of Labor Chris Ngige, leaders of NLC, TUC, Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers, NUPENG, and their Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria, PENGASSAN counterpart.

TRAGEDY IN GHANA-Police officer, pregnant wife, daughter perish in gory accident,new born baby survives

A Police officer, his pregnant wife, their 3-year-old daughter and their nephew died in a horrible accident on the Adabraka road Sunday dawn.

The Police officer identified as Sergeant Francis Essuman 42, with his nephew Kobby 21, and their daughter Wilhelmina 3, were accompanying his pregnant wife, Elizabeth Essuman, 36, to the hospital to deliver when the accident occurred.

According to Chief Inspector Lilly Rockson in an interview with Adom News said, the pregnant woman delivered a bouncing baby boy in the taxi half way to the hospital prompting them to panic.

In a bid to quickly get her to the hospital to avert any complications, the taxi driver was compelled to speed but ended up crushing into a Sprinter bus which was on top speed from Tudu in Accra.

Title-crazy civil servants to go

Title-crazy civil servants are scared of being sacked, The Nation learnt at the weekend. Officials, who violated the Public Service Rule banning titles until after retirement, may be retired in the coming civil service reforms.
Only those whose titles were traditionally inherited may be spared but their postings and conduct will be put under watch.
According to sources, the government is disturbed that most of the top civil servants with honorary awards actually bought them at high fees.
The affected civil servants violated the rules which grants them the right to such honors only after retirement.
Besides committing the resources of Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAS) to such awards, most of the civil servants used the window to “grant favour to groups, persons, and communities in violation of their oath of office.”