Skip to main content

US Govt gives $400M cash to Iran the same time some Americans were freed but the Govt denies it was a ransom


The White House on Wednesday denied insinuations that a $400 million cash payment to Iran in January was a ransom to free four Americans that were being held in Tehran, saying that it was just coincidental.
The US State Department said the money was actually part of a $1.7 billion settlement to Iran for a decade-long legal dispute that was before an international tribunal in The Hague.
State Department spokesman John Kirby said:
"As we've made clear, the negotiations over the settlement of an outstanding claim at the Hague Tribunal were completely separate from the discussions about returning our American citizens home," Kirby said in a statement. "Not only were the two negotiations separate, they were conducted by different teams on each side, including, in the case of the Hague claims, by technical experts involved in these negotiations for many years."
The State Department formally announced the settlement terms on Jan. 17 which was a day after the four Americans were freed. The four Americans were identified as Jason Rezaian, a Washington Post reporter who had been convicted of espionage last year; Amir Hekmati, a former Marine who had been held since 2011; Saeed Abedini, a Christian pastor imprisoned since 2012; and a man only named as Nosratollah Khosravi-Roodsari.

Their release and the settlement deal also came on the same weekend that international sanctions on Iran were lifted after the United Nations nuclear agency declared Tehran had fulfilled its commitment to scale back its nuclear program.

Secretary of State John Kerry at the time said the nuclear agreement between Iran and the West and the Americans' release "were not directly related," although he believed the diplomatic process was eased thanks to the nuclear talks.

A Wall Street Journal report Tuesday characterized the Obama administration's $400 million payment to Iran as a "secretly organized" airlift of euros, Swiss francs and other currencies given to Tehran.

It remains illegal for the U.S. to conduct a monetary transaction with Iran in American dollars.

The money was owed to the Islamic republic following a failed arms deal dating back to 1979, when Iran purchased American fighter jets, U.S. officials said.

Representative Jason Chaffetz, the chairman of the House of Representatives Oversight Committee, on Wednesday sent a letter to U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry asking him to appear at a future committee hearing to discuss the payment.

White House spokesman Josh Earnest also denied the suggestions that the money transfer to Iran was ransom or a secret.
He said:
"The United States, under President Obama, has not paid a ransom to secure the release of Americans unjustly detained in Iran and we're not going to pay a ransom," he said that in response to a Wall Street Journal article that said Washington secretly organized the cash airlift.


Source: NBC News
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

U.S. Military Helicopter Crashes In Iraq On Thursday, Killing 7 People On Board

One of the U.S. military helicopter in Iraq has crashed after hitting a power line in Iraq's western Anbar province, killing all seven personnel aboard.

According to a statement from Pentagon this morning, the officials said the crash of the HH-60 Pave Hawk helicopter occurred Thursday afternoon near the town of Qaim.

"All personnel aboard were killed in the crash," Brig. Gen. Jonathan P. Braga, director of operations, Combined Joint Task Force - Operation Inherent Resolve, said in a statement.

"This tragedy reminds us of the risks our men and women face every day in service of our nations," he said. "We are thinking of the loved ones of these service members today."

The statement further said;

Wife Of Donald Trump Junior Files For Divorce

(Reuters) - The wife of Donald Trump Jr., the eldest son of U.S. President Donald Trump, has filed for divorce in New York, according to court records.

Vanessa Trump, a former model and actress, and Trump Jr. said in a joint statement on Thursday: "After 12 years of marriage, we have decided to go our separate ways."

The statement was provided by the Trump Organization, the president's business empire, which his son helps manage.


Further details were not immediately available on the uncontested divorce filing by Vanessa Trump in a New York state court. She and Trump Jr. have "enormous respect" for each other, according to the joint statement, which also asked for privacy.

Prison Officers Secretly Move Charles Okah To Borno Prisons After Life Sentence

Charles Okah, the brother of the leader of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND), who was given a life sentence for terrorism, has been secretly moved from Kuje Prisons, Abuja, to one of the prison facilities in Borno State, THISDAY has learnt.

Worried about his seeming familiarity with the prison environment and the officers at the Kuje Prisons, the authorities of the Nigerian Prison Service (NPS) last Tuesday transferred him quietly.