Skip to main content

No More Dismissal Of Corruption Cases Without Trial – CJN

President Muhammadu Buhari, the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Mahmud Mohammed, and other stakeholders, on Monday jointly spoke against corruption and identified the roles of the judiciary and other in the fight against the scourge in the country.
Against this background, the CJN said the judiciary would no longer dismiss cases of corruption against high- profile persons without trial.
The CJN said the judiciary had put a stop to giving verdicts that exonerated high-profile citizens accusinstitutionsed of corruption without undergoing trial.
Justice Mohammed said this amid calls by President Buhari and other stakeholders, on the judiciary to join the Federal Government’s efforts to rid the country of corruption.
The President called on the judiciary to put its house in order, tackle judicial corruption, be impartial and politically-neutral, remove causes of delays in adjudication of cases and stop tolerating the dilatory tactics of defence lawyers that prolonged high- profile corruption cases.
The President, the CJN and others including the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr. Abubakar Malami, the Chairman, Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption, Prof. Itse Sagay (SAN), among others spoke at the opening ceremony of an ‘International Workshop on the Judiciary and Fight against Corruption.’
The two-day event was jointly-organised by the National Judicial Institute and the Sagay-led PACAC and it was with the theme, ‘The Roles of Judges in the Fight Against Corruption:
Sagay, who had earlier spoken at the event, had identified four reasons for the “unconcluded-trial syndrome” that had kept the corruption cases against about 15 ex-governors in court since 2007 to include, “the reluctance or failure of the judiciary to take control of their own courts and to exercise their powers firmly and decisively.”
But the CJN in a veiled response to Sagay, while delivering his speech, said one of the reasons the cases against the politically-exposed persons had remained in the court’s dockets was because of lack of will by government to get them prosecuted.
He said, “I must emphasise that the fact that these cases still remain on our case list was because of lack of will on the part of government to have these cases prosecuted.
“Also, as corresponding action from the judiciary, we are determined not to strike out or dismiss the cases or discharge and acquit accused persons without trial.
“That is why these cases remain on the list because of virile determination to have them prosecuted when the will to do so arises such as now.”
The CJN said since 2013, various levels of court in the country had “initiated and introduced Practice Directions on Kidnapping, Corruption and other Serious Offences, that provides framework for the fast-tracking of major crimes and corruption cases.”
He added, “The issue of undue delay by technicality, which hitherto plagued the criminal justice system, has also been addressed by the enactment of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, 2015.”
He urged “all parties to proceedings to avail themselves of the innovations introduced by the Act in order to ensure that delay becomes obsolete in our courts.”
He assured Nigerians that the judiciary would continue to play its role in the fight against corruption, adding that due punishment would be meted out to anyone found guilty.
Reiterating the role of diligent investigation in the successful prosecution of corruption cases, the CJN commended the acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Ibrahim Magu, in that regard.
President Buhari said his administration made the war against corruption one of its priorities in order to restore the economy and build a new Nigeria.


http://punchng.com/no-dismissal-corruption-cases-without-trial-cjn/
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

U.S. Military Helicopter Crashes In Iraq On Thursday, Killing 7 People On Board

One of the U.S. military helicopter in Iraq has crashed after hitting a power line in Iraq's western Anbar province, killing all seven personnel aboard.

According to a statement from Pentagon this morning, the officials said the crash of the HH-60 Pave Hawk helicopter occurred Thursday afternoon near the town of Qaim.

"All personnel aboard were killed in the crash," Brig. Gen. Jonathan P. Braga, director of operations, Combined Joint Task Force - Operation Inherent Resolve, said in a statement.

"This tragedy reminds us of the risks our men and women face every day in service of our nations," he said. "We are thinking of the loved ones of these service members today."

The statement further said;

Badoo Srine Discovered,Alaka Abayomi Of Alaka Petroleum Apprehended(Video)

The Nigerian police SARS, IRT and RRS, has arrested a popular independent oil marketer of Alaka petroleum Alhaji Abayomi Alaka . Following investigations of the recent killing of a family of five over the weekend , kudos to the gallant men of the Nigerian police

Wife Of Donald Trump Junior Files For Divorce

(Reuters) - The wife of Donald Trump Jr., the eldest son of U.S. President Donald Trump, has filed for divorce in New York, according to court records.

Vanessa Trump, a former model and actress, and Trump Jr. said in a joint statement on Thursday: "After 12 years of marriage, we have decided to go our separate ways."

The statement was provided by the Trump Organization, the president's business empire, which his son helps manage.


Further details were not immediately available on the uncontested divorce filing by Vanessa Trump in a New York state court. She and Trump Jr. have "enormous respect" for each other, according to the joint statement, which also asked for privacy.