Skip to main content

Jacques Hamel Killed In France By ISIS Terrorists Who Slit His Throat

A photo has emerged of Jacques Hamel, the 84-year-old Catholic priest who was murdered by Isis terrorists at the Church of the Gambetta in Normandy on Tuesday (26 July). Up to six hostages were taken by the attackers including Hamel, two nuns and several worshippers after the agitators stormed a morning mass session at 10am local time in Saint-Etienne-du-Rouvray, south of Rouen.

A police source told the Reuters news agency Hamel, who was reportedly ordained in 1958, had his throat slit and there are reports others were injured during the incident, one of whom is believed to be in a serious condition. French police shot and killed the two suspects, who it is claimed shouted "Daesh" while launching the attack as Hamel was leading morning mass at the Roman Catholic church.


The Vatican condemned the "barbarous killing" and the Archbishop of Rouen Dominique Lebrun said he would pray "as we prayed at the tomb of Father Popiulusko in Warsaw". Popiulusko was a Polish Roman Catholic priest who was assassinated in 1984.

Hamel, who was born in 1930, was "a good priest...discrete. He was quiet, didn't like attention," said Father John Hogan, OCDS, a Secular Discalced Carmelite priest.


"He assumed his duties to the end. He was well-liked. It seems he was a simple, faithful priest, quietly serving God and his people," the priest tweeted.


A woman who works at a local beauty parlour, Eulalie Garcia, said she had known the priest since her childhood.

"My family has lived here for 35 years and we have always known him," she said, according to the BBC..

"He was someone who was treasured by the community. He was very discreet and didn't like to draw attention to himself."

President Hollande has visited the scene and described the violence as a "vile terrorist attack" perpetrated by attackers who claimed to be from Islamic State (Isis). Prime minister Manuel Valls expressed "horror at [the] barbaric attack on [the] church."

France receives ongoing threats by Islamist terrorist groups and is under heightened security following the Nice terrorist attack on 14 July when 84 people were killed by Tunisian man Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel during Bastille Day celebrations. Nine terrorists who also claimed allegiance to Isis were responsible for the attacks in Paris in November last year that killed 137 people, most of whom were at the Bataclan theatre.


Source: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/normandy-update-first-photo-slain-84-year-old-catholic-priest-jacques-hamel-1572620


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

U.S. Military Helicopter Crashes In Iraq On Thursday, Killing 7 People On Board

One of the U.S. military helicopter in Iraq has crashed after hitting a power line in Iraq's western Anbar province, killing all seven personnel aboard.

According to a statement from Pentagon this morning, the officials said the crash of the HH-60 Pave Hawk helicopter occurred Thursday afternoon near the town of Qaim.

"All personnel aboard were killed in the crash," Brig. Gen. Jonathan P. Braga, director of operations, Combined Joint Task Force - Operation Inherent Resolve, said in a statement.

"This tragedy reminds us of the risks our men and women face every day in service of our nations," he said. "We are thinking of the loved ones of these service members today."

The statement further said;

Wife Of Donald Trump Junior Files For Divorce

(Reuters) - The wife of Donald Trump Jr., the eldest son of U.S. President Donald Trump, has filed for divorce in New York, according to court records.

Vanessa Trump, a former model and actress, and Trump Jr. said in a joint statement on Thursday: "After 12 years of marriage, we have decided to go our separate ways."

The statement was provided by the Trump Organization, the president's business empire, which his son helps manage.


Further details were not immediately available on the uncontested divorce filing by Vanessa Trump in a New York state court. She and Trump Jr. have "enormous respect" for each other, according to the joint statement, which also asked for privacy.

Prison Officers Secretly Move Charles Okah To Borno Prisons After Life Sentence

Charles Okah, the brother of the leader of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND), who was given a life sentence for terrorism, has been secretly moved from Kuje Prisons, Abuja, to one of the prison facilities in Borno State, THISDAY has learnt.

Worried about his seeming familiarity with the prison environment and the officers at the Kuje Prisons, the authorities of the Nigerian Prison Service (NPS) last Tuesday transferred him quietly.