Skip to main content

Women raped 'as reward for fighters' in South Sodan

Militias allied to the South Sudanese army have been allowed to rape women in lieu of wages while fighting rebels, a UN report says.Investigators found that 1,300 women had been raped last year in oil-rich Unity State alone, it said.
The army operated a "scorched earth" policy to deliberately target civilians for killing and rape, which amounted to war crimes, the UN said.
The government denies its army targeted civilians but says it is investigating.

According to the UN report, militias operated under a "do what you can and take what you can" agreement that allowed them to rape and abduct women and girls as a form of payment.

They also raided cattle and stole personal property, it added.
'Killed for looking'
The scale and type of sexual violence committed in South Sudan constitute some of the most horrendous human rights abuses in the world, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein said
  • One woman said she had watched her 15-year-old daughter being raped by 10 soldiers after her husband was killed
  • Another said she had been stripped naked and raped by five soldiers in front of her children on the roadside
  • Witnesses told investigators that several women had been abducted and held in sexual slavery as "wives" for soldiers in the barracks
  • Young-looking women were specifically targeted and raped by about ten men, one witness said. In some cases, those who tried to resist or even looked at their rapists were killed, she added
The UN said government forces and allied militias had gang-raped girls and cut civilians to pieces. It also accused opposition fighters of committing human rights abuses.
President Salva Kiir's spokesman, Ateng Wek Ateng, told the BBC there were no militias fighting on the government side.
The investigators had relied on anti-government elements as South Sudanese soldiers only fought people in uniforms, not civilians, Mr Ateng told the BBC's Focus on Africa radio programme.
While the government disputed the report, he added, the allegations it contained were "too serious to ignore" and the government would take appropriate action.
In a separate report, Amnesty International said more than 60 men and boys had been suffocated in a shipping container by government forces.
Researchers from the UK-based campaign group said bodies of those suffocated had been dumped in a field after they were killed last October in Leer Town, Unity State.
"Dozens of people suffered a slow and agonising death at the hands of government forces that should have been protecting them," said Lama Fakih from Amnesty.
"These unlawful killings must be investigated."
The civil conflict erupted in December 2013 after Mr Kiir accused his sacked deputy, Riek Machar, of plotting a coup.
Mr Machar denied the allegation but then formed a rebel army to fight the government.
Tens of thousands have died and more than two million have been displaced since then.
Amid a threat of sanctions from the UN, the two sides signed a peace deal in August last year but are yet to form a transitional government of national unity.
Source: BBC
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

U.S. Military Helicopter Crashes In Iraq On Thursday, Killing 7 People On Board

One of the U.S. military helicopter in Iraq has crashed after hitting a power line in Iraq's western Anbar province, killing all seven personnel aboard.

According to a statement from Pentagon this morning, the officials said the crash of the HH-60 Pave Hawk helicopter occurred Thursday afternoon near the town of Qaim.

"All personnel aboard were killed in the crash," Brig. Gen. Jonathan P. Braga, director of operations, Combined Joint Task Force - Operation Inherent Resolve, said in a statement.

"This tragedy reminds us of the risks our men and women face every day in service of our nations," he said. "We are thinking of the loved ones of these service members today."

The statement further said;

Badoo Srine Discovered,Alaka Abayomi Of Alaka Petroleum Apprehended(Video)

The Nigerian police SARS, IRT and RRS, has arrested a popular independent oil marketer of Alaka petroleum Alhaji Abayomi Alaka . Following investigations of the recent killing of a family of five over the weekend , kudos to the gallant men of the Nigerian police

Wife Of Donald Trump Junior Files For Divorce

(Reuters) - The wife of Donald Trump Jr., the eldest son of U.S. President Donald Trump, has filed for divorce in New York, according to court records.

Vanessa Trump, a former model and actress, and Trump Jr. said in a joint statement on Thursday: "After 12 years of marriage, we have decided to go our separate ways."

The statement was provided by the Trump Organization, the president's business empire, which his son helps manage.


Further details were not immediately available on the uncontested divorce filing by Vanessa Trump in a New York state court. She and Trump Jr. have "enormous respect" for each other, according to the joint statement, which also asked for privacy.