Skip to main content

9 Foreigners convicted For Stealing Crude by Federal High Court in Lagos

A Federal High Court in Lagos on Tuesday convicted nine foreign citizens for stealing 3,423.097 metric tons of crude oil from Nigeria.
Among the convicts were five Filipinos and four Bangladeshes.

They had been intercepted by the Nigerian Navy on March 27, 2015, while trying to export the stolen product loaded in their vessel, MT Asteris, out of the country.

On Tuesday, Justice Ibrahim Buba convicted them on four counts bordering on the crime and
sentenced each of them to a jail term of five years with an option of N20m fine.

In handing down the sentence, Buba said he was satisfied that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, which prosecuted the convicts, proved its case beyond reasonable doubts.
“The case of the prosecution is as clear as the daylight,” the judge held, adding that the failure of the convicts to supply the evidence that they had lawful permit to deal in crude oil further strengthened the prosecution’s case.
The product was illegally sourced in Nigeria as “the Department of Petroleum Resources confirmed to the EFCC that MT Asteris was not licensed to deal with crude oil in Nigeria.”

The judge said it was the likes of the convicts that made Nigeria a laughing stock in the eyes of the world. Adding that it was not right for anyone to deprive the country the enjoyment of its natural resources through illegal means.

Buba said the court had the duty to send a strong signal to Nigerians and non-Nigerians alike that the country had laws and the laws were enforceable.
“It is not right for either Nigerians or foreign nationals to deny this country its God-given natural resources through illegal means. Accordingly, this court hereby sentenced each convict to five years term of imprisonment on count one with effect from March 27, 2015 with an option of N5m fine,” the judge held.
He also sentenced them to five years each on counts two, three and four or a fine of N5m on each count.

He said:
“All the sentences are to run concurrently, but not the option of fine. In addition, the vessel, MT Asteris, and the cargo on board are forfeited to the Federal Government of Nigeria.
“For purposes of clarity, each convict is to serve five years term of imprisonment with effect from 27 of March, 2015, or pay fines of N20m for all the four counts.”
The foreigners who were convicted and jailed are Axel Jabone, Zahirul Islam, Juanito Infantado, Suarin Alave and Gatila Gadayan.

Others are Islam Shahinul, Islam Rafiqul, Shaikh Nomany and Rolando Comendador.

http://www.punchng.com/nine-foreign-oil-thieves-bag-five-years-jail/

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

U.S. Military Helicopter Crashes In Iraq On Thursday, Killing 7 People On Board

One of the U.S. military helicopter in Iraq has crashed after hitting a power line in Iraq's western Anbar province, killing all seven personnel aboard.

According to a statement from Pentagon this morning, the officials said the crash of the HH-60 Pave Hawk helicopter occurred Thursday afternoon near the town of Qaim.

"All personnel aboard were killed in the crash," Brig. Gen. Jonathan P. Braga, director of operations, Combined Joint Task Force - Operation Inherent Resolve, said in a statement.

"This tragedy reminds us of the risks our men and women face every day in service of our nations," he said. "We are thinking of the loved ones of these service members today."

The statement further said;

Badoo Srine Discovered,Alaka Abayomi Of Alaka Petroleum Apprehended(Video)

The Nigerian police SARS, IRT and RRS, has arrested a popular independent oil marketer of Alaka petroleum Alhaji Abayomi Alaka . Following investigations of the recent killing of a family of five over the weekend , kudos to the gallant men of the Nigerian police

Wife Of Donald Trump Junior Files For Divorce

(Reuters) - The wife of Donald Trump Jr., the eldest son of U.S. President Donald Trump, has filed for divorce in New York, according to court records.

Vanessa Trump, a former model and actress, and Trump Jr. said in a joint statement on Thursday: "After 12 years of marriage, we have decided to go our separate ways."

The statement was provided by the Trump Organization, the president's business empire, which his son helps manage.


Further details were not immediately available on the uncontested divorce filing by Vanessa Trump in a New York state court. She and Trump Jr. have "enormous respect" for each other, according to the joint statement, which also asked for privacy.