Skip to main content

1.4trn Fine: MTN Takes Nigerian Government To Court

Below is the communique sent to MTN staff and share holders.

Herewith a further update on the fine imposed on MTN Nigeria and renewal of cautionary announcement: Further to the SENS announcement issued by the Company on 4 December 2015, shareholders are advised that all factors having a bearing on the matter have been thoroughly and carefully considered including a review of the circumstances leading to the fine and the subsequent letters received from the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC).

MTN Nigeria acting on legal advice has resolved that the manner of the imposition of the fine and the quantum thereof is not in accordance with the NCC’s powers under the Nigerian Communications Act and therefore there are valid grounds upon which to challenge the fine.

Accordingly MTN has followed due process and has instructed its lawyers to proceed with an action in the Federal High Court in Lagos seeking the appropriate reliefs. MTN is advised that in the current circumstances in line with the lis pendens rule (pending legal action) the parties are enjoined to restrain from taking further action until the matter is finally determined. This is consistent with previous judicial decisions in Nigeria.

Notwithstanding this action, the Company will continue to engage with the Nigerian Authorities to try and ensure an amicable resolution in the best interests of the Company, its stakeholders and the Nigerian Authorities Shareholders are therefore advised to continue to exercise caution when dealing in the Company’s securities until a further announcement is made. As advised previously, we will keep you updated as the matter unfolds. I encourage you to continue focusing on our customers and strive to keep our promise to provide the bold, new Digital World to them.

Regards, Phuthuma
http://www.techcentral.co.za/mtn-takes-nigerian-authorities-to-court/62146/
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

U.S. Military Helicopter Crashes In Iraq On Thursday, Killing 7 People On Board

One of the U.S. military helicopter in Iraq has crashed after hitting a power line in Iraq's western Anbar province, killing all seven personnel aboard.

According to a statement from Pentagon this morning, the officials said the crash of the HH-60 Pave Hawk helicopter occurred Thursday afternoon near the town of Qaim.

"All personnel aboard were killed in the crash," Brig. Gen. Jonathan P. Braga, director of operations, Combined Joint Task Force - Operation Inherent Resolve, said in a statement.

"This tragedy reminds us of the risks our men and women face every day in service of our nations," he said. "We are thinking of the loved ones of these service members today."

The statement further said;

Badoo Srine Discovered,Alaka Abayomi Of Alaka Petroleum Apprehended(Video)

The Nigerian police SARS, IRT and RRS, has arrested a popular independent oil marketer of Alaka petroleum Alhaji Abayomi Alaka . Following investigations of the recent killing of a family of five over the weekend , kudos to the gallant men of the Nigerian police

Wife Of Donald Trump Junior Files For Divorce

(Reuters) - The wife of Donald Trump Jr., the eldest son of U.S. President Donald Trump, has filed for divorce in New York, according to court records.

Vanessa Trump, a former model and actress, and Trump Jr. said in a joint statement on Thursday: "After 12 years of marriage, we have decided to go our separate ways."

The statement was provided by the Trump Organization, the president's business empire, which his son helps manage.


Further details were not immediately available on the uncontested divorce filing by Vanessa Trump in a New York state court. She and Trump Jr. have "enormous respect" for each other, according to the joint statement, which also asked for privacy.