Skip to main content

Illegal arms possession: Dasuki gets bail on self-recognition

Former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki
The Federal Government on Tuesday arraigned a former National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd), before a Federal High Court in Abuja on one count of possession of firearms without license.
Justice Adeniyi Ademola granted him bail on self-recognition shortly after he pleaded not guilty to the charge which was said to violate provisions of 27(1)(a)(i) of the Firearms Act, Cap F28, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.

In a short ruling on his bail application which was not opposed by the prosecution, Justice Ademola ordered that Dasuki should deposit his diplomatic passport and other traveling documents to the Deputy Registrar, Litigation, of the court, as the only condition for the bail.
The judge also ordered that Dasuki’s traveling documents, which might be currently in the custody of any government agency, should be retrieved and deposited with the court.
The firearms, which Dasuki was accused of possessing without licence, include five Tavor riffles, 20 magazines, five rifle slings, five packets of servicing kit, one packet of MOD AP9 Cal. 9mm Luger No. 033373, small magazine containing 16 rounds of 9mm ammunition and bigger magazine containing 23 five rounds of 9mm ammunition.
Others are one Macro Uzi with serial No 60244, one magazine with 16 rounds of live 9mm ammunition and 36 rounds of live 9mm.
Some of the items were said to have been recovered from his Range Rover car with number plate Abuja RBC 517 JN.
The items were said to have been recovered during a search of his residence at 13, John Khadiya Street, Asokoro, Abuja on July 16, 2015.
While arguing Dasuki’s application for bail, the lead defence counsel, Mr. Joseph Daudu, who appeared with Mr. Ahmed Raji (SAN), along with other lawyers, described the charge as looking “very simple, but it is a very slippery charge.”
Daudu contended that his client needed to be on bail for him to be able to effectively defend himself. He also insisted that the alleged offence was a bailable one, adding that since the prosecution said the investigation of the case had been completed, there would be no fear that the defendant would interfere with investigation.
The prosecution, led by the Director, Directorate of Public Prosecutions of the Federal Ministry of Justice, Mr. M.S Diri‎, did not oppose the bail application as he opted to leave the granting of bail and on which terms to the discretion of the judge.
“The offence for which the defendant was arraigned before this court is a bailable offence. The prosecution intends to leave the issue of bail to the discretion of this honourable court. We did not file counter-affidavit because we are not opposing the bail application,” Diri said.
The judge, after delivering his ruling on the bail application, adjourned till October 26 and 27 for trial.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

U.S. Military Helicopter Crashes In Iraq On Thursday, Killing 7 People On Board

One of the U.S. military helicopter in Iraq has crashed after hitting a power line in Iraq's western Anbar province, killing all seven personnel aboard.

According to a statement from Pentagon this morning, the officials said the crash of the HH-60 Pave Hawk helicopter occurred Thursday afternoon near the town of Qaim.

"All personnel aboard were killed in the crash," Brig. Gen. Jonathan P. Braga, director of operations, Combined Joint Task Force - Operation Inherent Resolve, said in a statement.

"This tragedy reminds us of the risks our men and women face every day in service of our nations," he said. "We are thinking of the loved ones of these service members today."

The statement further said;

Badoo Srine Discovered,Alaka Abayomi Of Alaka Petroleum Apprehended(Video)

The Nigerian police SARS, IRT and RRS, has arrested a popular independent oil marketer of Alaka petroleum Alhaji Abayomi Alaka . Following investigations of the recent killing of a family of five over the weekend , kudos to the gallant men of the Nigerian police

Wife Of Donald Trump Junior Files For Divorce

(Reuters) - The wife of Donald Trump Jr., the eldest son of U.S. President Donald Trump, has filed for divorce in New York, according to court records.

Vanessa Trump, a former model and actress, and Trump Jr. said in a joint statement on Thursday: "After 12 years of marriage, we have decided to go our separate ways."

The statement was provided by the Trump Organization, the president's business empire, which his son helps manage.


Further details were not immediately available on the uncontested divorce filing by Vanessa Trump in a New York state court. She and Trump Jr. have "enormous respect" for each other, according to the joint statement, which also asked for privacy.