Skip to main content

Defence Headquarters says insurgency will end soon, identifies media as important partners

Abuja – The Defence Headquarters has said that the end of insurgency in Nigeria is in sight and that all known camps of insurgents on Nigerian territory have been dislodged.
The Acting Director, Defence Information, Col. Rabe Abubakar, said this on Monday in Abuja when he paid a courtesy call on Mr Ima Niboro, Managing Director of the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN).
Abubakar said that the military would continue to dominate the insurgents’ hideouts in the North East so that the Boko Haram menace would end soon.
“We, for the past weeks have been in the North East to ensure that we do all what we could as military personnel to quell the activities of these insurgents.
“So far so good as I’m speaking with you the major hideouts and the major camps of the militants are no more.
“They are in disarray now, the central command of the terrorists, the center of gravity is no more with them so are scattered all over the place.
“So, what they resort to doing now is one of the characteristics of insurgency where they identify sub-targets to attack it.

“So the issue of suicide bombing here and there is not in any way bravery but is a sign of decline in their activities.
“They are now very week and we will maintain that level of momentum so that they will not regroup again.’’
Abubakar said that information was one of the weapons of the Boko Haram insurgents and that they capitalised on it to instil fear on citizens and to portray their successes even when they have been conquered.
“Insurgency strives on information because it is the oxygen of terrorists, they live by it and survive on it’’, he said.
Abubakar identified the media as important partners in the fight against insurgency and sought media partnership to help in moving the nation forward.
“Since I assumed command, I felt that I should go round, meet key stakeholders and talk about how to move this nation forward.
“The essence is to seek the partnership and have a synergy between the military and the civilians.
“So, I am here to seek collaboration on information dissemination and control.
“And we in the military have identified the media as one of the most important components to partner with in the fight against insurgents.
“The military alone cannot do it, there must be joint efforts of military and civilian components. Let them know we are all stakeholders in moving our country forward.’’
Responding, Niboro commended the efforts of the military and assured it of the agency’s support in ensuring that the aim of ending Boko Haram soon was achieved.
He also expressed joy that the “initial period of surprise’’ on the nation was over because the military had taken charge of the situation by destroying the insurgents’ camps.
Niboro, however, urged media blackout on Boko Haram activities, advising that it should wield its powers with a greater sense of responsibility.
He said that as long as the media keeps using sensational headlines, the insurgents would have a reason to continue.
“We are helping Boko Haram with our headlines, if we stop those headlines, Boko Haram will fizzle out because there’s no incentive.
“The Nigerian media must wield its immense power with all so tremendous sense of responsibility because it is the lives of our people that are at stake.
“We must help the government succeed and how can we help the government succeed if we celebrate the wickedness of terrorists on the front pages of our newspapers and on the screens of our television sets.’’
Niboro, however, expressed confidence in the ability of the Nigerian Armed Forces to end insurgency, urging for greater public support for the ongoing counter-insurgency operation.
He also advocated the formulation of a national strategy to incorporate the military, police, civil populace and all other stakeholders in the country to help end the menace in Nigeria.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FG and labor leaders to meet today over planned strike action against increased pump price

The Federal government, leaders of the Nigeria Labor Congress NLC ‎and Trade Union allies will be meeting today May 16th to discuss on the planned strike action by the Labor congress. The labor leaders on Saturday May 14th gave FG till midnight of Tuesday May 17th to revert to the old pup price of petrol of N86.50 or face a total strike that may begin on Wednesday May 18th.

The Federal government and Labor leaders' meeting will hold at the office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation in Abuja by 10am..

Those expected at the meeting include Minister of Labor Chris Ngige, leaders of NLC, TUC, Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers, NUPENG, and their Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria, PENGASSAN counterpart.

TRAGEDY IN GHANA-Police officer, pregnant wife, daughter perish in gory accident,new born baby survives

A Police officer, his pregnant wife, their 3-year-old daughter and their nephew died in a horrible accident on the Adabraka road Sunday dawn.

The Police officer identified as Sergeant Francis Essuman 42, with his nephew Kobby 21, and their daughter Wilhelmina 3, were accompanying his pregnant wife, Elizabeth Essuman, 36, to the hospital to deliver when the accident occurred.

According to Chief Inspector Lilly Rockson in an interview with Adom News said, the pregnant woman delivered a bouncing baby boy in the taxi half way to the hospital prompting them to panic.

In a bid to quickly get her to the hospital to avert any complications, the taxi driver was compelled to speed but ended up crushing into a Sprinter bus which was on top speed from Tudu in Accra.

Title-crazy civil servants to go

Title-crazy civil servants are scared of being sacked, The Nation learnt at the weekend. Officials, who violated the Public Service Rule banning titles until after retirement, may be retired in the coming civil service reforms.
Only those whose titles were traditionally inherited may be spared but their postings and conduct will be put under watch.
According to sources, the government is disturbed that most of the top civil servants with honorary awards actually bought them at high fees.
The affected civil servants violated the rules which grants them the right to such honors only after retirement.
Besides committing the resources of Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAS) to such awards, most of the civil servants used the window to “grant favour to groups, persons, and communities in violation of their oath of office.”