Skip to main content

UNILAG raises panel over rape scandal



Authorities of the University of Lagos have set up a four-man investigative team to look into the alleged rape scandal rocking the institution.
The Head of the Information Unit of the university, Mr. Olagoke Oke, made this known to our correspondent on Tuesday.
According to him, the Dean of Student Affairs, Prof. G.O. Babawale, is the head of the panel, while the Secretary is O. Olasunmade of the Quality Assurance & Servicom Unit of the university.
Other members are an Associate Prof. of Law, Dr. A. Sanni, and a lecturer in the Department of Creative Arts, Dr. A. Layiowola.

The terms of reference of the panel, Oke said, included investigating the remote and immediate causes of the matter and the involvement of the Faculty of Business Administration/Distance Learning Institute.
The panel, according to him, has three weeks to complete its assignment.
ADVERTISEMENT
A 42-year-old lecturer, Dr. Akin Baruwa, reportedly raped an 18-year-old admission seeker (name withheld) in the school on July 23, 2015.
Meanwhile, the Dean of the Faculty of Business Administration, Prof. Rasheed Ojikutu, currently in Kenya for a conference, insisted on Tuesday that the suspect was not a member of staff of the university.
Ojikutu, in an online correspondence to our reporter, said, “I can tell you emphatically that the alleged offender, Mr. Akin Baruwa, is not an employee (teaching or non-teaching staff) of the faculty. He is neither a full time nor a part-time member of staff of any of the departments in my faculty.
“The offence in question is so disgusting and unspeakable that adding impersonation to it makes it more grievous. There is no question of denial here because individuals must answer for their undesirable deeds and conducts in the society. Therefore, we would have owned up to his affiliation to our faculty, if he had been one of us. Any student who claimed to know him as a teacher is certainly not a student of the faculty.”
The leadership of the university on Sunday had disowned Baruwa, claiming that he was not an employee of the institution.
In a related development, Oke has warned prospective post-Unified Tertiary Matriculation candidates to discountenance a text message urging them to pay N2, 000 administrative fees for the exercise.
Oke, who said the message was the handiwork of fraudsters, noted that security operatives had already arrested a suspect in connection with the misdeed.
The post-UTME will hold in the school on Wednesday, (today).
 
PUNCH.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

U.S. Military Helicopter Crashes In Iraq On Thursday, Killing 7 People On Board

One of the U.S. military helicopter in Iraq has crashed after hitting a power line in Iraq's western Anbar province, killing all seven personnel aboard.

According to a statement from Pentagon this morning, the officials said the crash of the HH-60 Pave Hawk helicopter occurred Thursday afternoon near the town of Qaim.

"All personnel aboard were killed in the crash," Brig. Gen. Jonathan P. Braga, director of operations, Combined Joint Task Force - Operation Inherent Resolve, said in a statement.

"This tragedy reminds us of the risks our men and women face every day in service of our nations," he said. "We are thinking of the loved ones of these service members today."

The statement further said;

Wife Of Donald Trump Junior Files For Divorce

(Reuters) - The wife of Donald Trump Jr., the eldest son of U.S. President Donald Trump, has filed for divorce in New York, according to court records.

Vanessa Trump, a former model and actress, and Trump Jr. said in a joint statement on Thursday: "After 12 years of marriage, we have decided to go our separate ways."

The statement was provided by the Trump Organization, the president's business empire, which his son helps manage.


Further details were not immediately available on the uncontested divorce filing by Vanessa Trump in a New York state court. She and Trump Jr. have "enormous respect" for each other, according to the joint statement, which also asked for privacy.

Prison Officers Secretly Move Charles Okah To Borno Prisons After Life Sentence

Charles Okah, the brother of the leader of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND), who was given a life sentence for terrorism, has been secretly moved from Kuje Prisons, Abuja, to one of the prison facilities in Borno State, THISDAY has learnt.

Worried about his seeming familiarity with the prison environment and the officers at the Kuje Prisons, the authorities of the Nigerian Prison Service (NPS) last Tuesday transferred him quietly.