Skip to main content

EFCC arraigns crew members for illegal oil bunkering

Federal High Court, Lagos

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has arraigned the crew members of a vessel, MV Peace, for alleged involvement in illegal oil bunkering.
The defendants were accused of allegedly dealing in 200 metric tons of petroleum product without lawful authority.
The crew members, including the captain of the vessel, James Abatan, were arraigned last week before Justice Mohammed Idris of the Federal High Court in Lagos on three counts.
Others are Wasiu Owonikoko, Patrick Ameh, Johson Ademola, Felix Otto, Chigozie Oguike, Olu Salisu, Jomo Gadagbe, Kunle Saheed and Rasheed Adio.

The EFCC prosecutor, Mr. Rotimi Oyedepo, told the court that the alleged offence was committed on April 4, 2015.
Oyedepo accused the defendants of violating Section 3 (1) (6) (17) of the Miscellaneous Offences Act, Cap M17, of the Law of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.
At the resumed trial on Monday, the defence counsel, Mr. Dada Awosika, urged the court to admit the accused persons to bail in liberal terms.
He claimed that the vessel was duly certified by the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency to operate within the Nigerian territorial waters.
The counsel added that the Nigerian Navy had approved it to embark on voyage within the country’s territorial waters.
Awosika added that the accused had never been arrested in connection with any crime, and urged the court to admit them to bail, assuring the justice that they would not jump bail.
But in opposition, the prosecutor said on June 16, 2015, the Nigerian Navy handed the accused persons to the EFCC on the allegation that they were dealing in petroleum product without requisite license.
“The evidence against the accused persons are overwhelming and where there is an overwhelming evidence against them, Your Lordship is enjoined to refuse their bail application. Your Lordship can draw the inference that there is high likelihood that the accused persons will jump bail if granted bail.
“My Lord, this is a serious offence that attracts life sentence on conviction,” Oyedepo said.
Copyright PUNCH.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: editor@punchng.com
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

U.S. Military Helicopter Crashes In Iraq On Thursday, Killing 7 People On Board

One of the U.S. military helicopter in Iraq has crashed after hitting a power line in Iraq's western Anbar province, killing all seven personnel aboard.

According to a statement from Pentagon this morning, the officials said the crash of the HH-60 Pave Hawk helicopter occurred Thursday afternoon near the town of Qaim.

"All personnel aboard were killed in the crash," Brig. Gen. Jonathan P. Braga, director of operations, Combined Joint Task Force - Operation Inherent Resolve, said in a statement.

"This tragedy reminds us of the risks our men and women face every day in service of our nations," he said. "We are thinking of the loved ones of these service members today."

The statement further said;

Wife Of Donald Trump Junior Files For Divorce

(Reuters) - The wife of Donald Trump Jr., the eldest son of U.S. President Donald Trump, has filed for divorce in New York, according to court records.

Vanessa Trump, a former model and actress, and Trump Jr. said in a joint statement on Thursday: "After 12 years of marriage, we have decided to go our separate ways."

The statement was provided by the Trump Organization, the president's business empire, which his son helps manage.


Further details were not immediately available on the uncontested divorce filing by Vanessa Trump in a New York state court. She and Trump Jr. have "enormous respect" for each other, according to the joint statement, which also asked for privacy.

Prison Officers Secretly Move Charles Okah To Borno Prisons After Life Sentence

Charles Okah, the brother of the leader of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND), who was given a life sentence for terrorism, has been secretly moved from Kuje Prisons, Abuja, to one of the prison facilities in Borno State, THISDAY has learnt.

Worried about his seeming familiarity with the prison environment and the officers at the Kuje Prisons, the authorities of the Nigerian Prison Service (NPS) last Tuesday transferred him quietly.